Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Minimalist Fangirl


Think critically about what I bring into my living space, and whether it's improving my life.

When do our 'just rewards' become clutter we don't need?



I am a fangirl. When I love something, I do not kid around. I do not pass go, I do not collect $200. I go all in.

So when Rob Thomas asked for my help putting a Veronica Mars movie together, my debit card and I were there with bells on. With stars in my eyes and a patriotic song in my heart, I pledged my money and checked the box to get my reward.

My reward. 

Veronica Mars on the big screen, and the T-shirt to prove that I helped get her there. A piece of fandom that would show my fellow fans that I, too, had believed and contributed.


Today I went back to the page and unchecked the box for my T-shirt.

When I was finally honest with myself I realized - I'm not going to wear it. Maybe to the gym, or to bed. But the reason I wanted it – proof of my epic fangirlness – wasn't realistic or necessary.

 Not least because it was never going to leave the house.

What's amazing about this revelation is that it would never have occurred to me to consider such a thing even a year ago. Choosing not to get a reward freely offered? Inconceivable!  

But the reward for supporting this movie is the movie. And with the simple unchecking of that box, I've helped both of us – more of that money goes to the project, and I have one less unworn T-shirt in my closet.

Veronica Mars Movie - 1. Clutter - 0.

1 comment: